The Russian Campaign: Designer Signature Edition
“The Soviet Union is to be crushed in one swift campaign before the war ends with England.” -- Fuhrer Directive No. 21
the time is 0315 hours, 22 July 1941
The Russian Campaign, Designer Signature Edition, marks the triumphant return of our hobby’s true classic wargame designs — universally acclaimed as one of the most venerable and widely-recognized games ever published, covering the Eastern Front during World War II. Few games have received as much universal praise or have been played by so many gamers across the globe.
Consim Press has embarked on a special journey and partnership with the original game designer, John Edwards, to produce this unequivocal, beautifully-rendered, new edition that honors the elegant design approach of the original creator and pays tribute to one of the finest games ever published. Reflective that this goes far beyond a simple reprint effort, this all-new edition has been in the works for more than one year as the aim is to present the ultimate “final say” of this design as John Edwards intended.
The Designer’s Signature Edition of The Russian Campaign includes numerous rules changes by leveraging the expertise and experience of today’s leading experts and world renown players who have organized numerous TRC tournament events and online support sites. These changes reflect more than thirty years of player experience as well as outcomes from recent research. Examples of the former include additional balancing rules and providing more examples of play while examples of the latter include modifications to Archangel-based replacements and German Minor Ally restrictions. Players of earlier versions of TRC will be able to immediately play the 5th edition but the designer, publisher, and developers are steadfast in their belief that the current rules make it even easier for new players to quickly get into the game.
The end result is a perfect blend of the game’s classical, core system with key enhancements and clarifications driven by the best gaming minds in the world associated with this game who have invested literally thousands of hours over the years – in both playing and supporting the game.
And as expected from Consim Press, to properly honor both designer and key contributors, we have spared no expense in terms of production quality. This designer signature edition release features large 5/8” playing pieces and two full size game maps to capture the grand splendor of this classic design. All components have been beautifully rendered and painstakingly proofed to ensure top quality for both presentation value and usability to enhance play experience. We are also providing different treatment for all AFV units in the game – so you can pick from NATO symbol counters (for a classic look) or counters featuring AFV icons.
For your added gaming comfort, in addition to the smaller sized, half-sheet Player Aid Cards provided, we also give you the option to use our full-size, Player Aid Cards if you prefer not having to reference the game map to reference certain game charts and tables during play. Those who are eye sight challenged will appreciate this added convenience in not having to squint over to reference certain charts and tables on the game map itself during game play.
While the standard game represents the “purest form” of this classic design and final say as John Edwards intended, the game is replete with optional rules to increase historicity.
Bonus Materials Galore
While our primary focus is capturing the purest form of The Russian Campaign (per the Standard Game Rules), variant rules and game counters sourced from the finest published supplements spanning many years are included as well – featuring material from Moves #79, BattlePlan #1, TAHGC/General Richard Hamblem “What-if” material, Jedko II game edition, and The Polish Uprising variant by Kim Meints, just to name a few. Expert commentary for all optional and variant rules are provided to assist gamers in understanding the underlying motive for each of these rules and their impact on play balance. And the best news of all, we’ve provided all the necessary counters to accompany these game variants. Also provided is a special map overlay that removes the three mountain hex range southeast of Lwow so they can be treated as clear terrain per one of the optional rules.
Game System Highlights
- Multiple Impulse Movement and Combat
- Rail Movement and Rail Conversion
- Sea Movement (transfers, invasions, and evacuations)
- Off-board movement and encirclements
- HQs and Leaders
- Russian Paratroops, Partisans, Warsaw Garrison
- Air Power – Stukas and Sturmoviks
- Reinforcement and Replacements
- Sudden Death Victory Conditions
- Numerous Optional rules featuring: Strategic Movement, SS Replenishment, Russian Recovery, Industrial Evacuation, Fortress Cities, Historical Weather, Battlegroups, Artillery, Russian Artillery Barrage, Optional Worker Units, National Restrictions, Historical Naval Restrictions, Hungarian Neutrality, Competitive Bidding for Sides
- Replete with Variant/Experimental Rules as published over the past 30 years, including counters
Five Game Scenarios and Full Campaign Game
- THE BREAKING STORM Scenario, 5 Turns (May/June ’41 – Jan/Feb ’42)
- BARBAROSSA Scenario, 10 Turns (May/June 1941 - Nov/Dec 1942)
- FALL BLAU Scenario, 8 Turns (May/June 1942 – July/Aug 1943)
- ZITADELLE Scenario, 6 Turns (May/June 1943 – Mar/April 1944)
- BAGRATION Scenario, 7 Turns (May/June 1944 – May/June 1945)
- FULL CAMPAIGN GAME, 25 Turns (May/June 1941 – May/June 1945)
- Two full size maps, including small map overlay for Lwow Hills optional rule
- Three 5/8” full-color counter sheets (both NATO and icon style counters included for AFV units)
- Full color, illustrated Rules booklet
- Four full color Order of Battle Displays
- Three full color Scenario Set-up Cards
- Four full color Player Aid Cards
- Single 6-sided die
Complexity: Low to Moderate
Average Playing Time: Two-Three Hours (smaller scenarios) to Six or more Hours (Full Campaign)
Solitaire Suitability: High
Replay Value: High
GAME DESIGN: John Edwards
GAME DEVELOPMENT: Tom Gregorio
GRAPHIC DESIGN: Todd Davis
EDITOR: Jack Beckman
SCENARIO DESIGN: Gary Dickson, Tom Gregorio
CONTRIBUTORS: Gary Dickson, Jim Eliason, George Karahalios, Charles McLellan, John Ohlin, Bert Schoose
PACKAGE ART AND DESIGN: Rodger B. MacGowan and RBM Studios © 2017
PRODUCER: John Kranz
Customers who bought this product also bought:
The Dark Sands
France '40, 2nd Printing
Smolensk: Barbarossa Derailed-OCS
Write Product Review
- No review available for this item.